In collaboration with Art Jameel and Goethe-Institut Saudi Arabia, internationally renowned art collective Slavs and Tatars is offering an in-practice residency and mentorship programme for experienced practitioners interested in the confluence of theory and practice, discourse and production. The programme offers practitioners crucial exposure to both the front-house and back-house operations of a professional artist studio with global engagements.
LOCATION: Slavs and Tatars Studio, Berlin .
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE:
Artists, curators, and interdisciplinary researchers based in KSA, who had professional experience of at least 5 years in the art field. The ideal candidate would be keen to expand their practice and display an interest in publishing, performative practices and or collaborative/collective practice. Candidates will be judged on the quality of their work, experience, research interests and interest in learning from integrating within the Slavs and Tatars’ studio.
Duration: June – July 2022 (2 months) in Berlin (Subject to COVID related changes)
- Placement within Slavs and Tatar’s studio to gain skills relevant to their profession (curatorial, artistic, art management, artwork production, design, research, writing) on both a theoretical and practical level;
- Direct and close supervision by the artists and the members of the Slavs and Tatars’ studio in gaining practice experience within a collective’s studio work;
- Introduction to the local actors of Berlin’s and Germany’s art scene, contacts to partner institution and project spaces;
- Publicity and communication on the Resident own projects via a short biography of the Resident on Slavs and Tatars’ webpage and social media
- Critical feedback for an ongoing project of the Resident (introduction to the local context of Berlin, arranging relevant meetings, information, and literature research assistance);
- Goethe-Institut offers support in the visa process
- Covers of the travels expenses: return airfare, visa costs, travel health and liability insurance
- A monthly stipend for two months, to cover living expenses, trips, transport, and local expenses
- Accommodation in a fully equipped and furnished one room residency apartment in the same street as Slavs and Tatars’ studio
- A working desk at Slavs and Tatars’ Studio
Resident is expected to:
- Prepare a presentation (15 – 20 min) to his / her practice to the studio members (within the first 10 days of the residency)
- Participate in Slavs and Tatars’ studio activities 3 days per week;
- Help in development, research and/or production of studio practice: public program, publication, exhibitions.
- Organize one public event, lecture, or performance based on his / her own artistic practice, research or lines of inquiry at Slavs and Tatars’ project space Pickle Bar in Berlin at the end of his/her stay;
- The resident upon return will have the opportunity to further develop on their research, and have access to facilities at Hayy Jameel, as well as curatorial guidance towards an outcome, be that a presentation, performance and (or) knowledge sharing with members of the creative community in Jeddah.
All applications will be treated with discretion and anonymity. The selection will be made based on the quality of the work, the experience of the candidate, the coherence of the current projects with the collective practice.
Each application submitted will be reviewed by a jury composed of one member of Art Jameel, one member of the Goethe-Institut KSA, the coordinator of the residency program at Slavs and Tatars’ studio, and one of the co-founder of Slavs and Tatars.
- A motivation statement of one page maximum
- A portfolio with visuals, or a selection of texts, highlighting three current and/or past projects that demonstrates the lines of inquiry of the candidate
All applications are submitted through the following portal here.