Hayy Jameel is Jeddah’s dedicated home for the arts. It is developed and managed by Art Jameel. Hayy references an Arabic word for neighbourhood, denoting the convivial and collaborative nature of the complex and its intent on bringing together a wide range of creative disciplines in one destination.It is the place where you meet artists from diverse backgrounds. It is a community of creatives, a home dedicated for the artists and art lovers! Since opening its doors to the public in December 2021, Hayy has hosted over 7 exhibitions, 30 workshops, 4 music performances and various other events.
Current Internship role
Art Jameel is looking for interns to join its visitor experience internship between February 2022 and May, 2024. The Welcome Desk is located in the Hayy Arts building and it is managed by the Visitors Experience team as it is the primary information point for all exhibitions, programmes, events and the overall complex. The internship provides a well- rounded work experience for those interested in developing interpersonal and facilitation skills as well as obtaining an introduction to the fields of arts and culture, from a variety of perspectives.
The welcome desk staff are responsible for welcoming and orienting Hayy’s visitors in a friendly and positive manner, ensuring their experience at Hayy is smooth, engaging and enriching. The selected intern will work with the Visitor Experience Coordinator and other colleagues on welcoming visitors to Hayy Jameel, coordinating tours bookings, fielding visitor calls, and managing the Hayy@artjameel.org inbox.
- Opportunity to gain hands-on work experience and gain practical experience within an internationally renowned arts organisation
- Exposure to multiple leading creative organisations in Saudi Arabia
- Opportunity to hone public speaking and, front-facing skills
- Gain knowledge about gallery etiquette and art work presentation
Reports to the Visitor Experience Coordinator
Responsibilities and Duties
- Greet visitors, answer questions, and assist in wayfinding across all Hayy Spaces
- Coordinate Hayy tours and be prepared to guide visitors through exhibitions
- Deliver up-to date information regarding all programming at Hayy
- Ideate and help in the planning of community and outreach events
- Screen telephone calls and respond promptly and professionally.
- Monitor and assist visitors in the Art Jameel Shop corner and ring up sales.
- Liaison with guards regarding security issues.
- Maintain supply of maps, museum guides, and other print material at the welcome desk and around Hayy Jameel
- All other duties as assigned.
Working days: 5 days each week; including Friday and Saturday
Qualifications and Experience
- University student or recent graduate
- Available for a full-time 3-month internship
- Natural leader with an entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for taking initiative
- Strong communications (verbal and written) skills and a positive and welcoming attitude.
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Passion for arts and arts education
- Saudi Nationals or Saudi residency holders
- English and Arabic fluency
- Drivers license is a plus
- 3 months paid work experience based at Hayy Jameel, Jeddah
- Weekend shifts are expected with lieu days provided midweek
- The work week for this role is from Thursday to Monday