Art Jameel supports artists and creative communities. The organisation’s programmes foster the role of the arts in building open, connected communities; at a time of flux and dramatic societal shifts, this role is understood as more crucial than ever. Jameel Arts Centre, an innovative contemporary institution in Dubai, UAE, opened on November 11, 2018; Hayy Jameel, a major complex for the creative industries in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, launched on December 6, 2021. Art Jameel’s model is collaborative: major institutional partners include Delfina Foundation, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Prince’s Foundation School of Traditional Arts and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Locally, the organisation works with individuals and organisations to develop innovative programming that embraces both ancient and new technologies and encourages entrepreneurship and the development of cultural networks. Art Jameel is positioned alongside Community Jameel, and complements its sister organisation’s work in promoting positive social change, job creation and poverty alleviation across the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey.
A major component of Hayy Jameel is its central cinema complex Hayy Cinema, which opened on 6 December 2022. It is designed to be a leading picture house for Saudi Arabia, with a particular focus on international independent cinema, Arab (including Saudi) filmmaking, documentaries and film events. Hayy Cinema also includes a specialised library and screening rooms. The objective of Hayy Cinema is to provide a platform for Saudi filmmakers to research, learn, produce and show their films and for audiences to experience high quality regional and international independent film.
We are seeking a diligent, bilingual (English/Arabic) Usher to lead on several front facing duties including welcoming and attending to Hayy Cinema’s guests and managing Hayy Cinema’s box office. As an Usher, you will be required to process visitors’ tickets, provide audiences with information such as programme details and direct them to the location of their seats.
The role suits an individual with excellent interpersonal skills, a passion for films and cinema and a knack for multitasking.
Reports to Zohra Ait El Jamar, Hayy Cinema Senior Manager
Cinema assistant responsibilities:
Retail and ticketing
- Conduct Sales activities including interacting with customers, operating cash register and conducting sales transactions
- Processing and guiding Cinema audiences; this entails checking and scanning tickets, directing guests to their seats
- Taking ownership over the cinema management system including generating film schedules, generating ticket SKUs and maintaining an up-to-date calendar
- Training will be provided by Art Jameel
- Completing Daily Activity Reports (DAR), liaising with finance on cash management and closing and opening of accounts
- Contributing to the development and maintaining stock of printed programmes brochures, and other materials; ensuring the proper preparation and display of merchandise.
- Updating Hayy Cinema’s online pages and coordinating with communications department on promotional efforts
- Inventories and verifies shipments and stock items in accordance with established stock location procedures.
Hosting and Ushering
- Welcoming and guiding guests in an informed, polite and friendly manner
- Attending to guests’ needs and assisting them with any questions or problems
- Enforcing event rules and relevant health and safety regulations.
- Ensuring that the lobby and facilities are neat and organized.
- Support Art Jameel’s operation team by contributing to developing cleaning schedules and ensure all current sanitation requirements are followed and maintained.
- Contribute to developing cinema protocols
Cinema assistant requirements:
- Up to 2 years’ experience as shop floor experience and experience managing sales is preferred
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
- Highly organised and attentive to detail
- Ability to manage crowds and to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Experience in sales including issuing sales reports and operating retail software
- Willingness to work on weekends and public holidays
Conditions of Work
- This is a full-time position based in Jeddah, KSA.
- Weekend and evening work according to events and programmes is as required. Usually starting in the afternoon and continuing until late
- Full health & dental insurance
- Visa sponsorship
- 25 days annual leave