The primary focus of this role is to oversee and manage the planning, production, and installation of the Hayy Jameel Facade Commission.
The annual Hayy Jameel Facade Commission activates Hayy Jameel’s front-facing facade as the main gateway connecting the public to the vibrant community within Jeddah’s home for the arts. The Commission is a major opportunity for Saudi and Saudi-based artists to propose, and then create, a monumental public artwork.
The role of the freelancer would be to work closely with the selected artist, the Art Jameel team, and contractors to manage the production, installation, and unveiling of the new facade commission.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversee timelines, agreements, and travel arrangements for study and contractor selection
- Oversee production of the new commission with selected fabricators and artists
- Plan and oversee the takedown of the previous facade commission
- Coordinate and oversee the install of the new facade commission.
- Liaise with Art Jameel team members on matters of admin and communications relating to the commission, this includes keeping track of budget, agreements, and public announcements.
Planning and delivery of Hayy Jameel Facade Commission in Jeddah
- Liaise with artist(s) to ensure smooth production and installation of their works.
- Support in identifying and sourcing desired materials for the commission, in conversation with the artist and contractors
- Develop a network of production related suppliers and specialists based in Jeddah to execute the timely delivery of the Facade Commission and a directory for future use
- Produce 3D models and architectural drawings with inputs from Art Jameel and external curators for design, planning and communication with suppliers on exhibition displays, build and installation.
- Ensure clear communication of tasks and schedules with colleagues across the organisation
- Manage artwork installation, production and deinstallation
- Update artwork related content on the Art Jameel websites
- Acting as contact point, managing and working with external installation teams where necessary
- On boarding and working closely with external fabricators and contractors
- Assisting with registrar duties where needed
- Assisting in preparing reports for insurance purposes or otherwise
Administration and Management
- Take on administration-related tasks for Hayy Jameel Facade Commission and related components.
- Keep an orderly and up to date filing system, including regularly updating budgets and planners.
- Support on the financial administration of programme-related and exhibition production related spending, including the processing of invoices, receipts and contracts.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrable experience working with displays, exhibitions, commissions and/or a permanent collection.
- Ability to work with 3D planning software such as SketchUp or similar spatial and design planning tools.
- Demonstrable experience working on managing administration, logistics and production for exhibitions, projects and relating programmes
- Written and spoken fluency in Arabic as well as English is preferred. Other relevant languages (for example: Urdu, Hindi, Malayalam, Farsi, French) are also useful.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills will enable the candidate to work effectively as part of a team and collaboratively across the museum. She/he will also be able to prioritise her/his work to meet deadlines, and maintain her/his attention to detail under pressure.
Conditions of Work
- This is a part-time freelance position based in Jeddah, KSA, with occasional production related travel where necessary.
- Hayy Jameel is a new complex and will operate as a start up in the initial years of its existence; candidates will be expected to embrace an entrepreneurial, fast-moving and fluid structure and take an active role in shaping the culture and departments of the organisation as it grows.
- Occasional weekend and evening work according to events and programmes is as required.