Hayy Jameel, Art Jameel’s flagship project in Saudi Arabia, launched in December 2021 as a dynamic, 17,000-square-meter, multidisciplinary arts hub and quickly became known as Jeddah’s home for the arts. Hayy is home to several Art Jameel-run spaces, including Saudi Arabia’s first arthouse cinema, artist studios, a leading exhibitions venue, and upcoming maker spaces.
Following Art Jameel’s life-long-learning philosophy, Hayy Jameel is launching Hayy Explorers, an interactive children’s makerspace, featuring a year-long dynamic programme, encouraging young learners to freely create, experiment and discover new concepts, materials and techniques that correspond to running exhibitions, films and public programmes.
In preparation for Hayy Explorers’s launch, Art Jameel is looking for a part-time art tutor dedicated to Hayy Explorers–supporting the learning term on children and youth programmes, including facilitating workshops and activities and managing day-to-day drop-ins.
The tutor reports to the Learning Coordinator.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the learning coordinator in delivering children and youth programmes (including workshops, long courses, summer camps and learning resources)
- Act as a focal point for the daily drop-in programme at Hayy Explorers and keep track of materials prep, set-up, clean-up, and inventory.
- Develop and facilitate 1-3 special workshops a month responding to Hayy Explorers programmes (these often respond to running exhibitions, films, events, and long-term interests).
- Contribute to dedicated learning courses and modules supporting children and youth development.
- Conduct Hayy Arts tours for visiting children, families, and schools, and walk them through learning kits and related activities.
- Liaise with schools and educational institutions and build opportunities for collaboration.
- Other duties as management deems fit
Qualifications and Experience
- An undergraduate degree in education, special education, fine arts, curatorial studies, museum studies, child development is preferred but not required. In absence of related academic qualification, a demonstrated long-term interest in children’s art education is to be considered.
- Outgoing and encouraging teacher and guide
- Open to collaboration and working with educators and artists across different institutions
- Excellent time management, communication (verbal and written), and organisation skills
- Passion for arts and arts education
- Saudi Nationals or Saudi residency holders
- English and Arabic fluency
- Drivers licence is a plus
Conditions of Work
- This is a part-time position based in Jeddah, KSA , with occasional travel to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and elsewhere
- 4-day week including weekends (flexible hours/ days as per programme)