Oversees the planning and delivery of exhibitions and programmes at Hayy Jameel, Jeddah, working as a core member of Art Jameel’s Programmes team.
Hayy Jameel includes a central, two-floor, non-commercial arts centre Hayy Arts, home to a diverse roster of exhibitions, including commissions, thematic group and solo exhibitions, and international touring shows. While visual arts is a lead focus, Hayy Arts will also feature exhibitions and programmes that intersect across disciplines such as design, architecture, visual, sound and oral histories developed through collaborative research-led modes conceived with both in-house and guest curators. On occasion, the Hayy Arts programme extends to other areas of the Hayy Jameel complex.
The Exhibitions Manager will be based in Jeddah and work closely with Art Jameel’s Exhibitions team on developing Hayy Arts’ exhibitions and programmes, including contributing to the overall strategic agenda of Hayy Arts. The Exhibitions Manager will be responsible for project managing exhibitions, public programmes, commissions and publications; managing and overseeing the exhibition spaces as well as programmes and commissions taking places throughout the complex. This includes liaising with galleries, institutions and artists, as well as managing exhibitions from conception through to completion.
They will lead on establishing and managing cultural partnerships in KSA and elsewhere, engaging with the creative community and stakeholders in KSA that would help co-produce programmes and activations at Hayy Arts as well as overseeing the delivery of public programmes that support Hayy Arts Exhibitions and research threads.
Responsibilities and duties
- Manage the planning and delivery of Hayy Art’s exhibitions and public programmes
- Develop, track, maintain and report on budgets
- Oversee and manage Hayy Art’s exhibitions calendar and install schedule in collaboration with Art Jameel’s global exhibitions team; anticipating, mitigating and communicating clashes and changes across departments
- Manage the movement, storage and care of artworks with Hayy Jameel exhibition team members
- Support in identifying relevant touring partners for exhibitions locally and internationally; Where required, draft, edit and proof texts related to exhibitions, publications and related programmes
- Where required, draft, edit and proof collateral for exhibitions and programmes, including copy for websites, press releases and other communication channels
- Maintain gallery spaces in close coordination with the operations team by advising on security deployment, cleaning protocols and periodic maintenance requirements
- (Co-)manage junior exhibitions colleagues including Assistant Curators, Projects Coordinators and interns; ensure clear communication of tasks and schedules with core team and other colleagues in the Exhibitions department in Jeddah and in Dubai
- Lead tours of exhibitions at Hayy for visitor groups; contribute to coaching interns and part-time tour guides on delivering guided tours to visitors
- Liaise with artists, speakers and practitioners as needed, including supporting the office administrator in the booking of travel and accommodation for exhibition-related events
- Contribute to the development of audience engagement and interpretation tools as needed (for example scripted audio guides)
- Together with the Hayy Jameel team, develop and deliver key events such as exhibition openings and select events for the local and international arts community.
- Update exhibition-related content on the Art Jameel and Hayy websites
- Embrace and participate fully in the local and regional arts scenes, taking a collaborative and community-driven approach
- Keep an orderly and up to date filing system, including regularly updating budgets and planners
- Lead the preparation of budget estimates for exhibitions and projects; update project budgets regularly throughout the year in discussion with the Senior Management Team
- Support in the drafting and finalising of agreements related to exhibitions and programmes.
- Maintain an orderly filing system for administrative and legal paperwork such as invoices, agreements and payment receipts related to exhibitions and other projects as needed
- Support on the financial administration of programme-related spending, including the processing of invoices, receipts and contracts
- Work with Art Jameel Team in establishing a platform for research across disciplines and research threads of interest to Art Jameel
- Contribute to the research and cataloging of exhibition and collection works
- Develop knowledge relating to regional (SWANA/MENASA) contemporary art and arts organisations
- Liaise with artists, researchers and curators to secure necessary research material
- Identify and source relevant research materials, including publications, audiovisual recordings and archives
- Create and maintain an orderly filing system for research and assist in the archiving of research material
- Maintain and update artists’ files in liaison with the curatorial team
- Attend and report on conferences, symposia and other events as needed
- Co-develop, and manage delivery of, public programmes as needed
- Liaise with speakers and artists as needed, including booking of travel and accommodation
- Create and send out speakers’ letters and contracts
- Create promotional copy for print and online material
- Liaise with filmmakers and distributors regarding screening rights where needed
- Liaise with AV technicians and docents to ensure the smooth running of events
Qualifications and past experience
- Demonstrable management experience, including – for example – the management of physical spaces such as creative or educational spaces, including universities, design or architectural studios, gallery spaces, and/or other such creative venues
- Demonstrable experience producing and managing public programmes, such as events, talks, conferences, panel discussions and/or workshops
- A broad knowledge of local and regional art practices and movements (plus knowledge of international contemporary art) – or the interest and capacity to learn
- Written and spoken fluency in both English and Arabic is required
- Other relevant languages (for example: Urdu, Hindi, Malayalam, Tagalog, Farsi, French) are an added advantage
- Graduate degree
- Excellent communications and project management skills, plus proven attention to detail
- Well-developed interpersonal skills will enable the candidate to work effectively as part of a team and collaboratively across the museum. She/he will also be able to prioritise her/his work to meet deadlines, and maintain her/his attention to detail under pressure
Conditions of Work
- This is a full-time position based in Jeddah, KSA , with occasional travel to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and elsewhere
- All members of the Art Jameel team take shifts on the Welcome Desk (at least 1 day every 2-3 weeks)
- Occasional weekend and evening work according to events and programmes is as required.
- Full health & dental insurance
- Visa sponsorship
- 25 days annual leave