Hayy Jameel, Art Jameel’s flagship project in Saudi Arabia, launched in December 2021 as a dynamic, 17,000-square-metre, multidisciplinary arts hub and quickly became known as Jeddah’s home for the arts. Hayy is home to several Art Jameel-run spaces, including Saudi Arabia’s first arthouse cinema, artist studios, a leading exhibitions venue, and upcoming maker spaces.
As part of its wider commitment to supporting artists and makers, Art Jameel is looking for a part-time darkroom technician dedicated to overseeing the upcoming darkroom facility, launching late 2023.
The position is best suited to an experienced analogue photographer/ film developer who is passionate about the medium, open to building and nurturing the analogue community, and is meticulously organised and detail-oriented.
The darkroom technician reports to the Learning Manager and Visitors Experience Coordinator.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ordering materials and equipment as per specifications set out by the Art Jameel team.
- Setting policies and safety procedures in coordination with relevant departments.
- Preparing the storage space for the materials and organising the inventory
- Working with the Art Jameel team on rolling out the membership model
- Overseeing the darkroom facility and coordinating with facilities management team on ensuring the space is running up to the standards set out in the darkroom policies.
- Ordering and replenishing materials and ensuring equipment is well maintained.
- Managing membership requests and screening applications for qualified practitioners.
- Overseeing the darkroom booking schedule.
- Conducting orientation sessions for new joiners and being present ‘on-call’ for all booked slots in case of technical issues.
- Developing an introductory darkroom course to be conducted once every 3 months and/ or per request.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree or certification in darkroom development or a minimum of 5 years working in a professional darkroom.
- Outgoing and encouraging teacher and guide
- Excellent time management, communication (verbal and written), and organisation skills
- Passion for film photography, imagemaking, and film development.
- Saudi Nationals or Saudi residency holders
- English and Arabic fluency
- Drivers licence is a plus
Conditions of Work
- This is a part-time position based in Jeddah, KSA , with occasional travel to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and elsewhere
- 4-day week including occasional weekends (flexible hours/ days as per programme)