Hayy Jameel is Jeddah’s dedicated home for the arts. It is developed and managed by Art Jameel. Hayy references an Arabic word for neighbourhood, denoting the convivial and collaborative nature of the complex and its intent on bringing together a wide range of creative disciplines in one destination.It is the place where you meet artists from diverse backgrounds. It is a community of creatives, a home dedicated for the artists and art lovers! Since opening its doors to the public in December 2021, Hayy has hosted over 7 exhibitions, 30 workshops, 4 music performances and various other events.
Art Jameel is looking for an enthusiastic Communications intern to join the department between November 2022 and January 2023. Based in Jeddah, this role works closely with the Communications Coordinator and Manager and includes a focus on drafting bilingual content for various communications purposes. The position is best suited for an outgoing candidate who is passionate about the arts, has strong organisational and communication skills, enjoys reading and writing and is open to learning. The role includes a focus on Arabic content therefore, excellent command of the Arabic language is required.
- Opportunity to gain hands-on work experience and gain practical experience within an internationally renowned arts organisation
- Exposure to multiple leading creative organisations in Saudi Arabia
- Opportunity to hone public speaking and, front-facing skills
- Gain knowledge about gallery etiquette and art work presentation
Reports to the Communications Manager
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist the Communications Manager and Coordinator in the organisation of press projects, social media scheduling and posting, the website and all public-facing channels.
- Create and edit bilingual communications copy (e.g. social media posts, newsletter, website…etc).
- Support in proofreading text in Arabic and English.
- Support the Coordinator in the liaison with photographers and graphic designers to produce content, as well as internal teams and Hayy Residents for data collection.
- Offer administrative support to communications projects including updating press database, media monitoring, sending invites, liaising with press, upload and crediting images in the Art Jameel growing visual library, support in filing legal agreements and purchasing orders issued by the communications team.
- Help to maintain website content with a focus on Arabic and assisting the Coordinator in ensuring the homepage is user friendly and provides the necessary information in the visitor’s journey to and through Hayy Jameel
- Help in researching, writing and editing content for distribution including design briefs and film scripts…etc.
- Assist the team in developing public relations and promotional materials including pitches to the media.
- Conduct Hayy Arts tours for visiting artists, journalists and collaborators.
- Working with the Coordinator on ensuring the Visitor Experience team are equipped with the latest information about Hayy Jameel programmes and producing bilingual scripts for guided tours.
- Supporting with on-site communications via leaflets and other printed material.
Working days: 5 days each week; including Friday and Saturday
Qualifications and Experience
- University student or recent graduate
- Available full-time during the internship
- Natural leader with an entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for taking initiative
- Strong communications (verbal and written) skills and a positive and welcoming attitude.
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Passion for arts and arts education
- Saudi Nationals or Saudi residency holders
- Fluent in English and Arabic (spoken and written)
- 6 months paid work experience based at Hayy Jameel, Jeddah
- Weekend shifts are expected with lieu days provided midweek