We are seeking a Cinema Projectionist responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of both film and digital projection systems at Hayy Jameel.
The Projectionist will be responsible for all assigned technical and projection aspects of Hayy Cinema and will provide the highest possible technical accuracy across all projected film formats and event types. This position is responsible for a broad range of technical tasks connected to the production, design, setup, and functionality of media equipment used for screenings and events. The position suits those who like to work autonomously which requires strong communication and organisation skills, as well as advanced knowledge of current media technology.
The job includes taking on ushering responsibilities from time to time (which includes selling tickets, checking and scanning tickets and directing guests to their seats).
The following are some of the key responsibilities of this role:
- Operates both film and digital projection systems and their associated equipment.
- Inspects movie DCP to ensure that they are in good condition and working well.
- Ingests digital film content and keys and builds show playlists for digital projection system.
- Manages video editing work as per cinema running schedule.
- Sets up and adjusts picture projectors and screens to achieve proper size, illumination, and focus of images, and proper volume and tone of sound and lighting.
- Starts projectors for daily screenings and monitors operations to ensure that standards for sound and image projection quality are met.
- Maintains the cleanliness of projection equipment, projection booth, and cinema office areas.
- Aids in the repair of cinema equipment as assigned.
- Keeps accurate records of equipment readings and film passes.
- Inputs show attendance data to database and reports demographic and film royalty information.
- Assists in maintaining supply and spare part inventories.
- Fulfils role of Usher when needed.
- Ensures daily show schedule signage and ticketing software schedule are accurate and up to date.
- Reports all equipment, employee, and visitor challenges to management.
- Performs light administrative tasks and other related duties as assigned.
- Operates equipment to show films in the 2 Hayy Cinema screening venues, sometimes simultaneously.
- Able to separate film reels, advertisements, and movie trailers together to form a feature-length presentation on one continuous reel.
- Inspects projection equipment prior to operation to ensure proper working order.
Hayy Cinema will be equipped with a 35mm projector which requires
- Regular maintenance tasks such as rotating or replacing xenon bulbs, cleaning lenses, lubricating machinery, and keeping electrical contacts clean and tight.
- Removing film splicing to prepare films for shipment after showings and returning films to their sources.
General support across various tasks to ensure the smooth operation of Hayy Cinema
- Monitoring the guests’ activity, informing and assisting them with any questions or problems.
- Enforcing event rules and relevant health and safety regulations.
- Ensuring that the lobby and facilities are neat and organized.
- Following all emergency protocols and guiding audience members to the exits in an orderly manner.
Reports to Hayy Cinema Senior Manager.
Qualifications and past experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in IT, preferably with experience in a cinema or creative environment.
- Familiarity and knowledge of video editing software.
- Written and spoken fluency in English, Arabic is a strong plus (notably able to read Arabic subtitles).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
- Problem solving mindset and capable to find alternative technical solutions.
- The ability to manage crowds and remain calm in stressful situations.
- The ability to stand for extended periods.
- Willingness to work on weekends and public holidays and adapt to schedule changes.
- Motivation to work in a creative and eclectic environment
Conditions of Work
- This is a full-time position based in Jeddah, KSA.
- Weekend and evening work according to events and programmes is as required
- Irregular hours
- Full health & dental insurance
- Visa sponsorship (if required)
- 25 days annual leave