Reporting to: Curator, Exhibitions
The assistant Curator supports Hayy Jameel’s rigorous exhibition programme, commissions, and public programmes. They will be responsible for supporting the Exhibitions team and its curators on realising the Hayy Arts exhibition programme, from the research and development stage through to production. This includes supporting the team with a variety of tasks including exhibition research and planning, planning programmes and events, managing contacts and stakeholder relationships, assisting with publication workflows, writing and editing exhibition-related copy and various administrative tasks.
Essential Duties Include:
Research & Curatorial:
- Research, summarise, compile bibliographies, and source images and documents on artists, works of art, and topics of interest as required for upcoming exhibitions and programmes. This includes working closely with the Art Jameel Learning team to explore various sources such as books, articles, online databases and archival materials.
- Support in the planning and coordination of exhibitions-related public programmes including artist talks, panel discussions, workshops etc.
- Support in drafting exhibition text including exhibition descriptions, labels, newsletter and website content
- Contribute to any related publications, compiling bibliographies, illustrations, captions, etc.
- Assist with preparing agreements and loan requests for exhibitions
- Support in creating and send out speakers’ letters and contracts
- Assist with maintenance of accurate artwork checklists, image files, lender, and other exhibition details
- Create condition reports for artworks
- Liaise with colleagues across departments to ensure the smooth implementation of the exhibitions programme
- Support and liaise with artists/lenders/galleries as needed
- Support the curator, artists and exhibition team during exhibition install
- Visually document the production and installation process where needed
- Deliver exhibition tours to external guests and partners
- Liaise with AV technicians to ensure the smooth running of exhibition related events
- Provide support for general departmental administration, including invoicing, maintaining updated files, meeting minutes, and scheduling
- Develop and update planning documents and trackers as needed
- Support with the logistics of shipping, transport and handling of artworks for exhibitions
- Liaise with suppliers to source competitive quotes, support and follow up on production of exhibition materials and artworks
- Liaise with other team members to organise and manage transportation, travel and accommodation for artists and guests where needed
- Assist with logistical needs for visiting artists including arranging honoraria, assisting with visas, and liaising with the relevant members of team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art History, Museum Studies, or related fields
- Master’s Degree optional but preferred or relevant experience working in museum, gallery or cultural organisation
- Demonstrated research and writing skills
- Fluent in both English and Arabic
- Strong organisational skills
- Health insurance
- 25 days annual leave
- Revive days
- Biannual Training day