Hayy Jameel is Jeddah’s dedicated home for the arts. It is developed and managed by Art Jameel. Hayy references an Arabic word for neighbourhood, denoting the convivial and collaborative nature of the complex and its intent on bringing together a wide range of creative disciplines in one destination.It is the place where you meet artists from diverse backgrounds. It is a community of creatives, a home dedicated for the artists and art lovers! Since opening its doors to the public in December 2021, Hayy has hosted over 7 exhibitions, 30 workshops, 4 music performances and various other events.
A major component of Hayy Jameel is its central cinema complex Hayy Cinema, designed to be a leading picture house for Saudi Arabia, with a particular focus on international independent cinema, Arab (including Saudi) filmmaking, documentaries and film events. Hayy Cinema also includes a specialised library and screening rooms. The objective of Hayy Cinema is to provide a platform for Saudi filmmakers to research, learn, produce and show their films and for audiences to experience high quality regional and international independent film. The design and function of the space was developed based on interviews and focus groups held with the Saudi film community (design process led by architects Bricklab) – currently under construction, Hayy Cinema is due to open in April 2022.
Art Jameel is seeking a Cinema Programme Assistant to support the Cinema Senior Manager in a broad range of activities that deliver the running and development of Hayy Cinema’s programme and events. Our curatorial policy aims to provide a ‘window on the world’ by offering diverse cultural perspectives. We aim to produce a programme that is locally and culturally relevant, working with a range of partner organisations.
This is a creative & administrative role supporting the work of Hayy Cinema Senior Manager. From assisting in the daily programming to special projects and events, the Cinema Programme Assistant will contribute on the logistic, finance and administrative aspects.
In addition, the role supports the work developed across Hayy Learning department (Cinema workshops and cinema pedagogical resources).
- Opportunity to gain hands-on work experience and gain practical experience within an internationally renowned arts organisation
- Exposure to multiple leading creative organisations in Saudi Arabia
- Opportunity to hone public speaking and, front-facing skills
- Gain knowledge about gallery etiquette and art work presentation
Reports to Zohra Ait El Jamar, Hayy Cinema Senior Manager
Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist in curating film programmes and offering feedback into the artistic decision-making process.
- To work with the department on developing creative projects and film programmes managing and/or assisting as relevant.
- Undertake research in support of the artistic vision.
- Coordinate programming and participation enquiries.
- Provide high level of welcoming support and care to artists and companies collaborating with Hayy Cinema.
- Oversee public screening programme and private requests.
- Liaise with the Finance Department on reporting and invoicing.
- Support the Senior Manager in developing and monitoring activities, courses, events and projects.
- Work with the Learning Programme Manager to recruit and manage Youth audience for the “Education to cinema” programme.
- Energy and enthusiasm for working in an arts venue, and a willingness to develop
- Previous experience in an arts or complimentary environment
- Experience of event management
- Fully computer literate and numerate
- A professional appearance and the social skills necessary to deal with a range of audiences
- Ability to prioritise and work under pressure with good time management and organisational expertise
- Energetic, creative team player with a high level of enthusiasm
- Willingness to work flexibly which will require some evening and weekend work
- Excellent time management and attention to detail
- Passionate about cinema and the arts in general
- Understanding of good customer service
- Understanding of MS Office packages and Venue Management programme/softwares
- Understanding of participation, creative learning and engaging with diverse communities.
- Regular working hours are 9am to 5pm. However, the standard opening hours of Hayy Jameel varies from 9am until 10pm 6 days a week, with later opening on occasions, although this may be subject to change
- This post will include out of office hours duties, such as evening meetings and events. These are considered to be part of your core commitment to Hayy Jameel.
- There will be no overtime payments, but time off in lieu of significant extra working hours may be taken with prior agreement of your line manager.
- The job description outlines the duties required of this post to indicate the level of responsibility. It is not a comprehensive or exclusive list and duties may be varied from time to time. This will not change the general character of the job or the level of responsibility outlined.
Working days: 5 days each week; including Friday and Saturday
Qualifications and Experience
- University student or recent graduate
- Available full-time during the internship
- Natural leader with an entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for taking initiative
- Strong communications (verbal and written) skills and a positive and welcoming attitude.
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Passion for arts and arts education
- Saudi Nationals or Saudi residency holders
- Fluent in English and Arabic (spoken and written)
- 3 months paid work experience based at Hayy Jameel, Jeddah
- Weekend shifts are expected with lieu days provided midweek